Microsoft Dynamics GP software is a comprehensive ERP and accounting solution for small to mid-sized businesses. It allows your company to gain more control over your inventory, finances, and overall operations. Its capabilities are robust, but there’s a bit of a learning curve, particularly for those who are new to Microsoft’s suite of products.
Here are 3 simple Microsoft Dynamics GP user tips and tricks to know.
1. How to Easily Copy & Paste Journal Entry Imports from Microsoft Excel
Keyboard shortcuts are everyone’s favorite way to get tedious work done faster. You can copy and paste journal entries from Excel into Dynamics GP by:
- Step 1: Create an Excel spreadsheet that has four columns in a specific order, labeled Description, Debit, Credit, Amount
- Step 2: Enter all data except for the Description. Although you will not be putting data here, you do still need this field in your spreadsheet.
- Step 3: Highlight and copy only the data, skipping over the column headers.
- Step 4: In Dynamics GP, start a GL transaction using Financial/Transactions/Financial/General.
- Step 5: Click Paste at the top of the GP screen. This copies the data from Excel into your GP fields.
- Step 6: Add the remaining data in Microsoft Dynamics GP.
2. How to Create Report Templates
No one wants to set up new report parameters each time they create a report. Microsoft Dynamics GP allows users to create templates that can be used multiple times and even shared between multiple businesses to save time and improve reporting consistency. Here’s how:
- Step 1: In Microsoft Dynamics GP, select the type of report you want to use and click New at the bottom of your screen.
- Step 2: In the Options section, add a short and simple description, ideally just one or two words.
- Step 3: Create the parameters that you want for your report.
- Step 4: Save your report.
Now, when you want to run new reports in Dynamics GP using the same parameters, you can use this report template. Save as a new file and rename it, adjusting the dates for the report accordingly.
3. How to Correct Auto-Complete Errors
Microsoft Dynamics GP has a helpful auto-complete feature, however, this can be tricky if you make a mistake and need to correct it. Once the data is entered, it’s unchangeable. However, here’s a simple workaround:
- Step 1: Begin typing data into a new Dynamics GP field until the same error appears via auto-complete.
- Step 2: Right-click on the error and choose the option for Remove From List.
This also removes the error from anywhere else it may appear and prevents the same auto-complete error from occurring again.
Work with Top Microsoft Dynamics GP Consultants
Aisling Dynamics is an expert Microsoft Partner that utilizes partnerships with top Independent Software Vendors (ISVs) to help our small to mid-sized clients discover business solutions that allow them to harness the power of today’s comprehensive software options.
We create tailored workflows designed to facilitate and optimize your company’s operations. The suite of tools we provide allows businesses to eliminate or streamline manual tasks and gain real-time insight into critical sales and performance metrics. Contact us today to learn more about how Aisling Dynamics can help your business build a better future.
Subscribe to our newsletter for more Microsoft Dynamics GP Tips and other insights for streamlining your business.